The Ministry of Education was established under the Civil Service Law 327 and under the PNDC Law 1993 with the mandate to provide relevant education to all Ghanaians. The Ministry is committed to put in place an education system focused on promoting creativity and problem-solving through the development of academics, technical and vocational programmes that will improve the acquisition of skills and assure job-market readiness.
To provide relevant education to all Ghanaians at all levels to enable them to acquire skills that will assist them to develop their potential in order to be productive, promotion of technology culture at all levels of society to facilitate poverty reduction and to promote socio-economic growth and national development.
To formulate and implement policies that would ensure quality and accessible education to all Ghanaian with requisite skills to achieve human development, good health, poverty reduction, national integration and international recognition.
For the purpose of achieving its objective, the Ministry performs the following functions:
- Initiate and formulate policy options on Education for the consideration of government
- Initiate and advise on government plans
- Undertake such research as maybe necessary for the effective implementation of government policies
- Review government policies and plans
- Coordinate and monitor the implementation of sector policies and strategies
WE ARE RESPONSIBLE FOR
Working towards achieving the overall goal of providing relevant and quality education for all Ghanaians including the disadvantaged, to enable them acquire skills, which will help make them functionally literate and productive to facilitate poverty alleviation and promote rapid socio-economic growth. This makes the Ministry responsible for:
- Expanding access to quality education at all levels of education.
- Providing and improving infrastructural facilities.
- Providing free education at the basic level.
- Making tertiary education more cost effective
- Raising the quality of teaching and learning for effective outcomes
- Making education more relevant to national goals and aspirations by focusing on technical and vocational education
- Establish a well co-ordinated and integrated system of scientific, technological and social innovation for public private sector partnership and development.
- Process all incoming mails after they have been received
- Guarantee that all clients are attended to on arrival at the Ministry's Clients' office.
- Timely provision of information to Clients, Stakeholders and Partners on request
- Vet,process and effect payments of claims after all relevant documents have been received
- Preparation of sector reports
WE SERVE TO
- Improve management for efficiency within the education sector.
- Improve quality of teaching and learning at all levels
- Improve access to and help participants in education and training
- Decentralize the education management system
- Promote Accountability and transparency
- Promote Equity
- Create a culture within which the advancement of scientific knowledge is valued as essential component of national development.
COURTESY AND COOPERATION
- Friendly and courteous Client Service Personnel willing and ready to serve at all times
- All office doors are clearly marked to facilitate easy identification
- All comments and queries received will be accorded the needed attention
- Staff ID and visitor cards will be made available.
WHAT WE EXPECT FROM INTERNAL CLIENTS, PARTNERS AND STAKEHOLDERS
- Clients should ensure that all necessary documents are properly prepared before submitting them for claims.
- Be courteous and polite to our staff and demand the same from them.
- To assist the ministry in the discharge of its functions by collaborating with staff and providing them with the needed information.
- To report first at the client service desk for enquiries and information.
- Request for information from Partners, Clients and Stakeholders should be indicated on an official letter.
INFORMATION TRANSPARENCY AND CONVENIENCE
- The Ministry will at all times endeavour to furnish Clients and Stakeholders as well as Partners with required information.
- Newsletters, brochures and other items of information will be available on the Ministry\'s website for downloads and also at the information desk in the Ministry (ground floor).
- Information on the Ministry and its agencies (current updates) are available on the Ministry\'s website for the general public.